Part of my 4th of July was spent in a hospital emergency room.
Fingers-Lighter-Lit Flare Sparkler.
My family is having the traditional late dinner barbecue. Neighbors are freely welcome to come over and join in the festivity, which includes firecrackers. We light pretty fountains, flash flares, snakes, smoke bombs, various other flares, and sparklers after we've run out of everything else. It's a time for people to mingle and catch up on summer fun.
Once we run at of good firecrackers, we finish off the barbecue with sparkler play.
I go on light detail for the sparklers using a normal BIC lighter. Some of the neighbors have brought their own sparkles to be lit. This includes our neighbor Tara and her daughter, Ann. Tara gives Ann a sparkler for me to light. She neglects to tell me they are not ordinary sparklers. Tara's sparklers are of the flare variety. Right after being lit, they flare up a trail of colored fire before sparking. No one informed me of this fact. I had to find out for myself.
I lit the flare sparkler and the flare sparkler decided to return the favor for my fingers. :D Thanks, Tara.
Cue me going to the hospital with burns on my hand.
Many others had ended up in the emergency room in various 4th accidents. Most of them involved alcohol.
Me: Minor second degree burns on two of my fingers.
Ann: Not hurt, but shaken up. :/
Tara: Apologetic, but still an idiot. WTF? Ann could have been the one with burnt fingers.
Eric: Hauled his drunken ass home. Probably to have a fight with Jess again.